What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Reflections


Mokelumne River-Highway 49 access between Jackson and Mokelumne Hill
Yesterday I attended the final event of the River Reflections Project. Through the creation of works of art, the project served to highlight the Mokelumne River. The artwork included painting, photography, ceramics, music, poetry and dance. It was a wonderful opportunity to bring awareness to the public about the many gifts that the Mokelumne River has to offer.

The final event yesterday included a dance performance, a group of people singing and playing guitars, and a solo singer with a keyboard. Having arrived at the event, I admit that I was in a funny kind of a mood, not really wanting to be there but feeling obligated (as a participant myself) to attend. As I watched the people perform and pay tribute to the river, I tried to find something (anything) to pull myself out of myself (if that makes sense). Slowly, I began to focus on what was in front of me. I realized that the artists performing for the audience were doing the same thing that I was doing with my own artwork every day. They were asking people to sit up, take notice, and get involved. Art making is nothing if not a back and forth; an interaction between performer and audience. They weren't asking me to approve of the work or to enjoy the style so much as they were asking me to take notice. I came to believe strongly yesterday that it's this appreciation and thankfulness for a person's honest effort that matters the most.  And my role was to respond to that by paying attention and by appreciating that effort. It ended up being a very good day.
Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.