What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Monday, July 13, 2015

The Phlebotomist!

I don't know what drives some people to do certain jobs but thank God that they are driven by whatever it is! This morning I went to have my blood drawn. I dislike doing it. Generally, the phlebotomist has to really search around for a good vein. If one vial is required then it's usually OK. Multiple vials present a huge problem. Flashing, collapsing, appearing and reappearing-these are all terms used to describe what goes on with my veins when they know that blood is needed. They have a mind of their own. The poor technician earns his money. The man who helped me this morning was very nice. When he successfully finished the draw I complimented him on his skill and thanked him profusely. As I walked out, I marveled at what makes people do that job. And then I reflected on all of the people who do those sorts of jobs that I couldn't do: doctors, nurses, dentists, hospital technicians of all stripes, surgeons, fireman, policeman, and the list goes on. As I said above, thank God that someone or something drives these people to do what they do. And for that, I am grateful.
Libby

4 comments:

  1. I have often thought the same thing about phlebotomists. A blood draw makes me ill, and the idea that someone would choose to have anything to do with the process amazes me. But thank God for good ones! And they are good, all that I've had, anyway. But I have "good veins;" my condolences to you, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay,

      I have had so many IVs and blood draws that you would think that I have gotten used to it by now. Not the case and each time brings me trauma. The worst though is multiple sticks and so I tell the tech that I am not up for that and if they think they are going to have an issue please go get someone else, no offense intended. Like you, I can't believe that anyone chooses to do a job like that. But, they do, and thank goodness!

      Glad to hear from you. Hope all is well.
      Libby

      Delete
  2. I am in awe of nurses and medical technicians, Libby. I could not do what they do and and very much appreciate their care and expertise. My sister has tiny and hard to find veins like you and often looks like she's been in a battle after having blood drawn, so I sympathize with you. I have big old veins, so I know I'm lucky. Nice to read that we share an appreciation for those who do the tough jobs that are so important and necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Libby- I so agree about how blessed we are that others are equipped with the skills we ourselves lack. I hate having blood work done. They have to work to get mine too. Glad you had someone good. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.