What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Swing of The Pendulum


It's very easy to get discouraged. The terms in Margaret Silf's book, Inner Compass, used to describe being discouraged have to do with movement. She calls them "desolation" and "consolation" and they describe both moving away from, and moving towards God.

Yesterday was a hot and muggy day and frankly, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, as my mom used to say. The whole day was like that and I struggled to find some bright spots. I was definitely in a desolation stage. As the day drew to a close, I was happy to go to sleep. This morning everything is just fine. Definitely consolation. I feel better about things and better able equipped to deal with yesterday's disappointments and whatever today may bring. I recognize God's presence in my moods and in my attitudes as well as whatever is going on physically and mentally. It is all tied together. It's this recognition I think that is the presence of God. Being able to understand where you are on the spectrum of feelings and knowing that the pendulum can swing.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.