What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Why I love Getting My Haircut!

On Friday I made my monthly visit to the salon for a haircut. I love my hairdresser! And I love her business concept and the people that work with her. It took about a year or so after moving here to find someone that was both professional and competent. I have some special concerns because of my skin and it's hard to find someone who understands that. So trust is a big part of the experience for me.

After leaving with another great cut, I got to thinking about what it means to ask someone else to cut your hair...or do your nails...or give you a massage. What's the common denominator? It's touch. You are asking another human being to touch you which is really incredible if you think about it. Touch is one of the most basic ways that humans can feel close to each other, both literally and figuratively. It's also one of the most devastating losses to suffer when you feel as if someone won't want to have such an intimate connection with you. Asking someone to help you in a physical way, (which is what getting a haircut is all about), leaves you very vulnerable: you look terrible with wet hair, maybe you have a skin condition like I do, or maybe you just aren't comfortable with others being so close. You are really asking for acceptance, tolerance, understanding and some kindness. And the other person is giving it even if they don't know that. These are some of the same things that many of us pray for each day. This level of trust and faith, both from God and from each other. And if that's not about experiencing the presence of something more, then I don't know what is.

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.