What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

To Flop or Not To Flop...

No photo for Monday but just a thought.

It's always dicey when you do something for someone else. I think it is the rare person who doesn't expect something in return. Whether or not that something is just a response (like "thank you") or something larger like a gift, there always seems to be an expectation of reciprocity.

Yesterday I did something for my husband. It wasn't as well received as I had hoped for. Then, my father did something for me. I wasn't as grateful as I should have been and to top it off, the thing that he tried to do ended up being wrong anyway. My conclusion from these interactions is that just like the old adage says, virtue is its own reward. Here are two possible factors at work in that saying. Control is one thing. You can only control your feelings about giving and you can only control your reactions upon receiving. Everything else is off the board. The part of me that watches for God's presence in my life reminded me that the second thing is effort. The effort itself is important no matter the outcome. It's just icing on the cake if the receiver is satisfied.

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.