What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Cats!


My husband and I have three cats. Because I am home during the day, our cats tend to gravitate towards me. At night, they want to sleep in the room with me which is fine. I don't mind. Two of them sleep through the night. The third cat, our only boy, has a completely different schedule than the rest of us. He is up when we are down and down when we are awake. His behavior in general can be very challenging and I don't always understand that he can't help himself. He isn't a human being and his restraint system is different than ours!

All three of the cats are a mix of good and bad. I love that they want to snuggle at night and follow me around from room to room, only asking that I settle down and keep them company. They trust me to treat them well. It's not great that they scratch the furniture and trail cat litter all over the house and don't understand that every trip to the kitchen does not signify a meal. Cassie is atypical in that she doesn't want to be picked up. Maddie is fearful still and I have to approach her slowly. Toby has three viruses that require medication and may shorten his life. I find it hard sometimes, especially when the cats are naughty, to see what is right in front of me all of the time: despite the negatives, these cats are a gift-their lives a miracle-and I am the happy recipient of that gift in many, many ways. Being their caregiver offers up a metaphor for me about dealing with life in general. Sometimes the best gifts are not the obvious ones.

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.