What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Intersections: Science, Nature and Religion

View to Pardee Reservoir, Calaveras County, CA
The intersection of science, nature and religion is of interest to me. Can one subject inform the other? Can something learned in the realm of science answer a long held question about religion? Can religion explain something seen in nature? And on and on. Insight into any of the subjects often leads to insight elsewhere.

Recently I took a hike that led me to the top of a lookout. I could see all around me: different counties, mountains and bodies of water were all within view. As I looked at the scenery, I honestly didn't know what to think. It was overwhelming mostly because of the vastness. of space. What was out there and how did it come to be? My reflections both then and now haven't yielded any answers.

This isn't unusual. Most of the time, my efforts at explanation fall short! But here is where science helps. I am reading a book by Loren Eiseley called The Immense Journey. Eiseley was an anthropologist and naturalist; a keen and sensitive observer of his world. In one of the chapters in this book, he describes coming upon a spider and her web. He reaches for explanations and meanings because the spider is spinning the web in an improbable spot where it probably won't last too long. In the end, he decides that in these types of instances, where the unexplained has been observed, it is best to simply record the findings and leave that information for future generations to puzzle over. Each person can then ascribe their own meaning. 

His answer seemed like it could be my answer. Even though no one is likely to review my own findings of the scenery I found the other day, it is enough to record those findings and not necessarily explain them but to simply enjoy the mystery of what is. To enjoy what I feel is the intersection of nature, science and God, all made visible.  Here is what I observed:

* unseasonably warm weather for November
* clear views of a full Pardee Reservoir
* unobstructed 360 degree view of all hills, mountains and scenery
* very green due to early rain
* overwhelming sense of awe and wonder and gratitude

Make of it what you will!
Libby

2 comments:

  1. Ah here you are Libby...been missing you on your other blog...beautiful picture. Always delightful reading your thoughts. Not sure we humans can ever comprehend the divine but we certainly catch glimpses of it in nature. I know I always feel much closer to my heavenly Father when I am outdoors and can reflect on the beauty that one finds there. So glad you shared your thoughts dear friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie!

      Often, when I see something so beautiful, I am at a loss for words. It's enough sometimes though I think to be thankful and to simply enjoy. And I liked the idea of just recording something and letting others read it and come to their own conclusions.

      I hope you are doing well and have fun things planned for Thanksgiving. I hope the day is a good one! Thanks again for your visit and thoughts:)
      Libby

      Delete

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.