What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Peace Like a River-It is Well With My Soul

Stanislaus River-Big Trees Park-photo by Libby Fife
Our county has experienced a tremendous firestorm. The Butte fire started September 9th and is still not totally contained. For about a week, I spent my time cycling back and forth between FB and several local news sites. FB was the worst because that is just some raw and uncensored reporting. Cal Fire's site was bad too because of the statistical (clinical) nature of that delivery. It was all bad. 

The one thing that I have learned both with this fire and with other traumatic events experienced over the last several years, is that everyone copes with stress and tragedy in their own way. One person's way might seem cold or calculating while another person's way might appear to be too emotional. Everyone has their own style and it is important for your own sanity to keep this in mind.

With that said, I hit my own personal limit late last week. I needed to get out and go somewhere else. I chose one of my favorite spots (and a place where there was no smoke), Big Trees State Park in Arnold. Though it was in the path of the fire, the area was unharmed. The fire never reached that far. And the smoke in the air was gone, prevailing wind direction aiding in that blessing. I hiked my favorite trail, looked in the visitors' center and drove on to the south area of the park. I love the Stanislaus river, the limited amount that I can see without some serious hiking. I parked my car and walked down a wooden staircase to take the above shot. As I stood looking at the river and listened to the various sounds, I realized just how much I needed this little bit of peace. I was filled with a sense of extreme gratitude that I was able to stand there at that moment and experience just a bit of God's gift. Just to be aware of it and to think about it. 

As I wrote above, everyone handles stress in their own way. And for those who haven't gotten relief yet, I hope it comes soon. I pray that it comes soon. 
Libby

In reference to the title, please see this link to a wonderful hymn, It is Well With My Soul. Please take a moment to read about its author, Horatio Spafford

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.