What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Everyday Oak Galls Every Day

Oak gall-photo by Libby Fife

More oak galls-photo by Libby Fife

Acorns-photo by Libby Fife

Woodpecker hole-photo by Libby Fife
The idea for the name of this blog came to me while I was on my daily walk. I had been studying several different books about how to find spiritual meaning in your own existence and in the world at large. A consistent theme that runs through these types of texts is the significance of everyday events; how God is present even in the smallest of things. As I considered what I had been reading, the idea (and title) for the blog instantly came to me. Why not write about the small moments of grace that are experienced every day? As I thought about it, I got very excited about my plan and drove home right away to begin.

Right off the bat however, I got stuck. The actual spelling of the word "everyday" was an issue. Is it "every day" or "everyday"? And what did I mean with my title anyway? Did I want to write about things that are special that happen every day of the week or did I want to write about those moments of mundane happenings that are infused with a divine light that cause us to say, "aha!", God is present. After some thought I solved the matter by deciding to write about both things. And really, those concepts are intertwined; they are not mutually exclusive. This brings me to my next point regarding the photos above.

This morning I walked out into our yard to photograph the oak galls growing on our trees. I recently learned that oak galls are created by certain types of wasps burrowing into the different parts of the tree. They cause the oaks to grow these galls. The galls grow around the wasp larvae and protect it. When the wasp is ready to emerge they somehow make a hole in the gall and fly out. Other insects, birds and animals also use the galls for other purposes. There is quite a bit of interdependence going on here. The gall and wasp exist together. There is not one without the other. The acorns shown above have a similar purpose. They provide food for many birds and other animals but they also help the oak to reproduce. Sounds very basic I know but this for me is an example of both the "every day" and the "everyday".  And it's exactly what I had in mind when I started this blog. Surely there must be a force and purpose behind the everyday things that we are privileged to witness every day. 
Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.