What's It All About?

It's all too easy for days to pass without reflection. It's my hope that through a greater active awareness on each day, that I will be able to consider God's presence in my life and in the world around me. Writing has always been a way for me to round up my thoughts. This blog seems like a good place to park those thoughts for my own benefit as well as the benefit of others. Please take a moment to read what I have written, to offer comments, and to share the ideas with others.
Libby

Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Gift That keeps On Giving

Putah Creek, Davis CA
When I was in high school, one of my classmates said something to me that I haven't forgotten to this day. I paid her a compliment and she thanked me. She said that she always thanked people when they said nice things to her. Of course I was taught by my parents to say please and thank you but it was really more of an obligation than anything else. It hasn't been until recently that I have suspected that there are other benefits to these words. 

Yesterday I ran a bunch of errands. Later in the day as I was driving home I thought about all of the people who had helped me that morning. First there was the nice young woman at the doctor's office who gladly made a photo copy for me first thing in the morning. She probably hadn't even been there for more than 15-20 minutes. Next up was my friend and hairdresser, Jill. She happily listened to all of my ridiculous comments about my hair and gave me a wonderful cut and style as always. And don't forget Jill's staff: Rhoda, and Sally (Jill's mom who is unfailingly nice to me) and Kirsten-wonderful ladies all of them who made my visit so pleasant. Continuing on to the store, I was helped by a nice woman who checked my groceries efficiently and also by a young man who wanted to carry them to my car. On the way back, thankfully I wasn't hit by the gentleman in the oncoming car who absolutely had to pass the car in front of him. At the hospital where I had my blood drawn, I was helped by Cassea and Peggi and Jen. (I especially thanked Jen because she had to stick me twice for the blood. :))  Finally, on the last leg of my trip, I was helped by all of the drivers who made it a point to stay in their own lane. 

As I thanked each and every one of those people for helping me, I remembered my classmate's advice from way back when. I am starting to see that the use of "please" and "thank you" is not only a necessity and a nicety but it lets you know that you are engaged in an interaction with someone; that you are not just either taking or receiving. It's easy to look around sometimes and think , "What am I getting here?" By saying both "please" and "thank you" it's a reminder to stop and consider the back and forth that is inherent in any kind of exchange.  

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not into censorship but instead just feel that some caution is in order. Please comment freely.